General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Import Thermal Desktop results into Ansys Mechanical

• ahmed.desoki
      Subscriber

Dear Folks
      I have a model of a small satellite. This model is meshed with fine details in Ansys Mechanical.
      The model is much simplified in Thermal Desktop to calculate the temperature distributions in orbit.
      Thermal Desktop can map the calculated temperatures of its simple model to the detailed mesh of Ansys Mechanical. I hope the mapping is accurate/reliable/robust. This mapping produced a text file with two columns, the node ID and the temperature.

How can I import this file into Ansys mechanical so that I can calculate the thermal stresses?

Thanks

• bhagwantP
      Ansys Employee

Hello ahmed,

you can export the temperature distibution in CSV format and then import it in Ansys mechanical via External Data. You can find such guiding tutorials in help.

Some additional information for your reference:

">How to transfer a thermal field from Ansys Fluent to Ansys Mechanical? - YouTube

Thanks

• ahmed.desoki
    Subscriber

Dear BhagwantP

I found the video called "How to transfer a thermal field from Ansys Fluent to Ansys Mechanical?" on youtube. This file used the Workbench to send Fluent results to Ansys Mechanical.

This is not the case for Thermal desktop. It is not included in Ansys Workbench.

Anyway, I converted my Thermal Desktop result file to a csv format. As I told you, the file only includes two columns, the node ID and the node temperature. I then tried to import this file into Ansys mechanical via external data, but nothing imported. It seems that Ansys is looking for node coordinates, and since the coordinated does not exist in the file, nothing is imported!!

That is, I tried your sugestion, but I couldn't succed.

Could you please guide me?

Thanks

• bhagwantP
      Ansys Employee

Hello ahmed,

Thanks for the update. In thermal desktop will you please check if there is any setting for result export where it includes node ID's and node temperatues both (to add them in CSV file as input)

• ahmed.desoki
      Subscriber

Dear BhagwantP

I already explained in my post that Thermal Desktop produces a text file with two columns, the node ID and the temperature.

I already explained that I converted this file to a csv format. (the file only includes two columns, the node ID and the node temperature).

I already explained that since Ansys is looking for node coordinates, and since the coordinated does not exist in this file, nothing is imported!!

I already explained that I tried your sugestion did not succed.

Please help me advance solving this problem.

• ahmed.desoki
    Subscriber

Hello BhagwantP

Thnk you for your reply, but your link does not open!!

• Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.