3D Design

3D Design

Importing drawing file to Ansys Design Modeler

• arjang
      Subscriber

Hello

I have a simple 2D geometry designed in AutoCAD and I would like to import it into Design Modeler. However I receive the following error message when I try to import DWG and DXW files:

I would appreciate it if I could get some advice on how to resolve this issue.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

It's possible that you've not installed the CAD readers but equally dxf/dwg files can cause problems due to the format. Can you export STEP and try that? 

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

with student version you can not import dwg files. please check following link. 

https://www.ansys.com/en-in/academic/free-student-products?utm_source=studentcommunity&utm_campaign=studentcommunity&utm_content=Studentproduct&utm_source=studentcommunity&utm_campaign=studentcommunity&utm_content=Studentproduct

please use step, iges or parasolid format 

• arjang
      Subscriber

Thank you kkanade for your response. I tried IGES format but I got the same error. I tried all the other available formats that I could export my drawing (image below) and none of them worked. For some reason I do not see the step or parasolid format. Do you think there is is till some issue with my version of ANSYS? Or is there another way to resolve the issue?

• arjang
      Subscriber

Hello rwoolhou

Thank you for your response. For some reason I am not able to export STEP, maybe my AutoCAD is limited. As I mentioned to kkanade, I tried all the available export formats (image below) and none of them opened in ANSYS, I got the same error message. Do you know of any alternate solution?

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

please convert your drawing in autocad into a surface or solid body. then try.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Also, click on the DesignModeler box and set properties to mixed lines & surfaces (or similar): I've had another user have problems with AutoCAD & SolidEdge and think there's something odd with the export.  Creating faces or solids ought to resolve this too. 

• arjang
      Subscriber

Hello rwoolhou and kkanade

Thanks to your useful advice, my issue is resolved! I first exported the IGES files using AutoCAD Mechanical and then set the properties of DesignModeler to mixed lines and surfaces. I did not need to try to create a surface or solid on AutoCAD.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

good. 

can you mark this as 'is solution' to help others on forum. 

• mahmoud14
      Subscriber

Does anybody know how I can import a 2D AutoCAD  file as a section! to ANSYS workbench and assign it to a line body.
      Many thanks

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

please create a new post as this is marked as solved. 

• mahmoud14
      Subscriber

Hi,
      Does any body know how to import a CAD file to ANSYS workbench as a CROSS- SECTION  for beam.
      Thanks a lot for your helps.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.