Fluids

Fluids

Importing Images into CFX

• Fremol
      Subscriber

Dears,

I'm doing research on spray drift using CFD(ANSYS CFX).

I'm not sure whether I can import drone images(las files) into ANSYS software or not?

I tried to look different forums but not that much updated and informative.

I really appreciate any ideas!!!

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Do you want to add a background image or put the 3d image into the CFD results?

• Fremol
      Subscriber

@ rwoolhou,

I have drone images of apple orchard trees then I want to import this image into CFX simulation domain in the geometry and further meshing, setups will be implemented to simulate air and spray flow  inside orchard trees.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

If it's 3d VRML then you may be able to read that into SpaceClaim but the file will be huge.  We work with 3d CAD files and not 2d images. You can import the image into the background to help with post processing. 

Modelling a whole tree is something I've never tried, we tend to assume they're spherical and use a porous media approach. 

• Fremol
      Subscriber

Thanks rwoolhou!

Yes I'm modeling the whole tree to predict the real spray drift. Most researchers consider some trees in a single row.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Are you planning on modelling leaves etc? 

• Fremol
      Subscriber

Yes I will consider big branches and leaves in the modelling.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Then you'll need an stl or similar CAD import and a Research licence as the Student cell count limitations mean it won't fit.  I'd advise running trials on a single (small) branch to understand how it all works and figure out some settings. 

• Fremol
      Subscriber

Thanks rwoolhou for your valuable comments!!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.