General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Importing stress map into Geometry

• simon.shi
      Subscriber
      Hello everybody, ni have a quick question. Is it possible to use the stress distribution of earlier structural simulations and import it/ applie it onto a thermal simulation? To give a bit of background. The goal is to use the results of real contact area simulations. These would be scattered contact points and areas across a wider surface (16mm^2). I would like to use the determined contact areas and applie a thermal load into those areas. I would normally simplify the geometry to be only circles. However, as i calculated an amount of up to 2000 contact areas with an average area of 8,9e-6m, creating the model manually is near impossible. nI would be very grateful for any input!nn
    • Rahul Kumbhar
      Ansys Employee
      nIt appears you have to use deformed model from structural to get the correct contact areas. It is not possible to import the stresses into thermal analysis though. But you use deformed model from structural analysis and apply thermal load on it.nn
    • Samir Kadam
      Ansys Employee
      nThanks a lot for connecting with us using Ansys Learning Forum. nRegarding your query, yes it is possible to use the stress results from previous simulation and import it. You can do it using External Data system. Please check following Ansys Help page for more details, nHowever, you can not use Stress as Imported Load in Thermal Analysis. You can use the approach as mentioned in above post.nRegards,nSamir.nHow to access Ansys help linksnGuidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning Forumn
    • simon.shi
      Subscriber
      Hello rkumbhar and skadam, nthanks so much for the quick reply!! I?ll try the setup that you have suggested to see if that?ll work out. I just realized that i did a bad job in explaining the problem. The stress itself is not really needed, only the pattern of stress distribution on the surface. I would like to use the pattern and apply it on a surface in a seperate simulation and only apply the thermal load onto those patterns. Do you reckon something similar can be done in workbench?Best regardsn
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.