Fluids

Fluids

Importing temperature data from a Fluent simulation to a Steady State Thermal Analysis in Ansys

• dileepatissera
      Subscriber
      I am develping a thermal mass flow meter, which consist of an aluminium pipe that is fixed with a clamp on type heater from the midde. For that i need to simulate a pipe (2 inch diameter and 2mm thickness) with water flowing through it. The pipe, which is around 1m in length, is heated from the middle (uniformly from all around the pipe). This heat is conducted through the pipe material and into the fluid (water) that is passsing through the pipe. The fluid absorbs this heat and the heat is carried by the fluid in the direction of the flow. This heat that is absorbed by the fluid is again conducted back to the pipe through the inner surface of the pipe as it flows through the pipe section. This causes a temperature distribution on the outer surface of the pipe which will be skewed towards the direction of the flow in the pipe. I want to simulate this scenario in Ansys and observe the temperature distribution on the outer surface of the pipe that is caused as a result of the flow inside the pipe. nFor this i performed a fluent simulation to obtain the temperature values at the boundary layer of the fluid. nNow i need to use this data ( the temperature of the fluid at the boundary layer) to perform a steady state thermal analysis on the pipe to see how the heat from the fluid is conducted back through the pipe material to the outer surface of the pipe. As far as i know, this cannot be simulated in Ansys Fluent. I was told that Fluent can only be used to obtain the temperature readings at the boundary layer of the fluid. Therefore, i created a seperate steady state thermal analysis to simulate the heat conduction through the pipe, and for that i need to provide the temperature values i recieved from Fluent( i created a line and obtained the temperature values on that line in Fluent Post) as an input temperature for the steady state thermal analysis.nCan someone please be kind enough to guide me as to how am i to approach this situation. I need guidance on how to perform the task that is mentioned in BOLD text above. Is my approach corrent to this kind of a simulation. Any kind of guidance on this issue will be higher appreciated and thanks a lot in advance for anyone will to help.nSorry for the long description, i just wanted to explain the scenario to the best of my ability to the reader. I hope i did a decent job at that, if there are any grey areas, please let me know. nThanks again in advance.n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Have a look at the tutorials, Fluent is more than capable of solving conjugate heat transfer models. The only reason to switch to Mechanical in the above scenario is if the temperature gradient caused local stresses that were of interest: I'd do the thermal part of the calculation in Fluent for that case too. n
    • dileepatissera
      Subscriber
      Thanks a lot for the comment. Can you please let me know as to how i can do the thermal part of the calucation in Fluent itself. Can i get the thermal distribution on a solid surface, which is due to a fluid motion, using Fluent?n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      If you mean due to convection of heat then yes. You'll also get the conduction effects through the solid. n
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.