Fluids

Fluids

In what co-ordinate system discrete phase(DPM) is calculated in axisymmetric model?

• pmjsjs
      Subscriber

I'm using a 2D axisymmetric transient model. It is a two-phase model, where the primary phase is air and the secondary phase is discrete particles modelled using DPM. During the simulation, when the particle hits the axis it bounces back from it. So, to understand the particles' position I plotted the particle position graph via 'Particle track' under the result section. I plotted two graphs; 'Particle Y position' and 'Particle Radial position'. For the 'Particle Radial position' plot, the particle bounces back from the axis and continues its trajectory. But for 'Particle Y position', the particle seems to cut through the axis without bouncing(reflecting).

Since I'm using an axisymmetric model is it possible for the particle to cross through the axis? If so, what co-ordinates DPM utilizes even though the model is axisymmetric?

Thanks.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Can you post the results?
    • pmjsjs
      Subscriber
      Hi,
      I have posted the plots below.
      Thanks.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Odd as it's behaving here.

Can you post an image of the model? What does the Scale Mesh panel look like?

• pmjsjs
      Subscriber

Thanks for the response.

The model image is posted below.

the mesh scaling image is posted below

Thanks.
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Can't see any reason why it's not working from that. How big are the particles?
    • pmjsjs
      Subscriber
      Thanks for the response. The particle's size is 500microns.
      Thanks
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Which is many times the size of the cells. Try a small particle and see what that does. Then read the background theory on the DPM model.
    • pmjsjs
      Subscriber
      Thanks for the response. I will try it.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.