Electronics

Electronics

Induced voltage in Maxwell

• ericwu
      Subscriber

Hi, everyone:

I'm designing a PMSM motor using Ansys Maxwell, I got some questions as I setting the winding excitation:

1. What's the difference between current and voltage type of excitation, why it's not allow users to enter the winding inductance and resistance in current type of excitation?
      2. If I use current type of excitation, what voltage do I get in "inducedvoltage" of transient report? Is it only the back EMF from magnets?
      3. How can I plot the winding voltage included inductance voltage and resistance voltage drop in transient report?

Thank you.

• Navya C
      Ansys Employee

1) For voltage source since Maxwell needs to calculate the current for computing the field quantities we need to input the resistance. The inductance that you enter here is the end winding inductance only in the case where the whole winding is not modeled, like in 2D. In 3D, if you model the complete winding you can input zero for the same. In the case of current, you need not input the resistance as fields can be computed from the current.
      2) Induced voltage is the combination of Inductance voltage due to flux linkage + Backemf.
      3) I do not think it can be achieved directly in Maxwell (At least I don't know how to do that).
      Regards Navya
    • HDLI
      Ansys Employee

For 3, we could use external circuit with resistance or inductance and voltage meter, to measure total voltage of inductance, resistance and BackEMF, that can be plotted in the transient report.
      HDLI
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.