General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Inflation around the holes, does it really affect the results quality?

• Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber

Hello there. I have seen some videos where people are usually applying inflation around the holes, rather it be a solid body or surface body. What exactly is the reason behind it? I am thinking that usually the mesh quality around the holes is low thats why it is needed to improve the quality of mesh around the holes so that the mesh elements might not result in any convergence issues. Is this the reason?

Furthermore, assume that I am only interested in getting the displacements of the overall structure and I am not concerned about the stresses in any region of the structure, especially near the holes. So should I still be applying inflation around the holes?

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee
      Hello

Not sure exactly what case this is but if the hole leads to a stress concentration (which it can do), and the highest stresses are found there and we need to do say some accurate fatigue calcs around that critical area, then we want a good quality mesh around the area of interest.

In your case it does not seem to be so you say, then a fine mesh around the hole is perhaps not necessary - it all depends what you want to get out of your analysis and what the goal is.

All the best

Erik
    • Rameez_ul_Haq
      Subscriber
      ,simple and perfectly explained. Thanks :)
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.