June 8, 2020 at 10:49 amnuqman918Subscriber
Is there something problem with this warning 'Inflation created stairstep mesh at some locations.'. This occured after I have inserted the inflation mesh in this airfoil. I have selected all the airfoil and vortexgenerator as the the boundary where the total faces are 170 faces. Is there something I can do to encounter these warning.
June 8, 2020 at 1:10 pmKarthik RAdministrator
Could you zoom in and show us where you are seeing the stair-stepping? Please share the image here.
June 18, 2020 at 1:34 am
June 18, 2020 at 12:25 pmKarthik RAdministrator
A couple of suggestions:
- First, I'd like you to use the mesh quality filter only the poor quality elements (Say, elements with orthogonal quality between your min value and 0.1). This will help you clearly identify where they are located in your domain.Could you please post a picture of this so we understand things better?
- Next, I'd make sure that you have selected all the edges / faces where inflation is necessary. This is very important. Since you have 170 faces, it might be a good idea to check this again.
- In the last image, I don't see an inflation layer around the airfoil. Is that the case? If so, why? Am I reading this incorrectly?
June 19, 2020 at 2:11 amnuqman918Subscriber
Thank you for your response Sir Kremela !
- These are the images of poor quality elements.
- I selected all the surfaces of VGs and airfoils' surfaces for inflation with the same setting which were : Total thickness; Number of layers=12; Growth rate=1.2(default); Maximum Thickness=1.6e-02m. Actually I'm not sure if this was the correct way. Can you give me advice about the inflation meshing.
- The last image is the image of top airfoil surface from inside where I zoom in towards the location of VGs. I'm not sure why the inflation layer wasn't there.
June 19, 2020 at 3:31 pmKarthik RAdministrator
Could you select all the vortex generators and give them a separate inflation setting? Perhaps, the local sizing here should be different to be able to catch these length scales.
Please let me know what you find.
June 20, 2020 at 3:50 amnuqman918Subscriber
Thank you, for your recommendation ! There wasn't warning about stair-step anymore. I gave the vortex generators different inflation setting and it succeed, besides I also reduced the maximum thickness for both the airfoil and VGs.
But I encountered with other warning message :
Some boundaries of protected topologies have been defeatured. Right click on this message and select "Show Problematic Geometry" to see the affected edges.
It showed that the problematic geometries were all the lowered edges of VGs. Is it because of the face sizing that I applied on the airfoil surface or other local mesh?
June 21, 2020 at 10:31 pmKarthik RAdministrator
It seems like some of the elements are smaller than the defeature size you have specified in your mesh settings. Please reduce the defeature size in your mesh properties such that it is smaller than the smaller length scale in your geometry.
I hope this helps.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Boost Ansys Fluent Simulations with AWS
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) helps engineers design products in which the flow of fluid components is a significant challenge. These different use cases often require large complex models to solve on a traditional workstation. Click here to join this event to learn how to leverage Ansys Fluids on the cloud, thanks to Ansys Gateway powered by AWS.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- how to improve the inflation quality at sharp corners?
- ANSYS Workbench Measuring within Design
- check element type
- The mesh file exporter could not resolve cyclic dependencies in overlapping contact regions error
- How to resolve Mesh Failure
- Meshing Error
- Error in meshing
- Conformal vs Non-Conformal Mesh
- execution error inside the mesher. The process suffered an unhandled exception or ran out of memory
- inflation created stairstep mesh at some location
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.