Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Inflation & Face Meshing

• Andrea159357
      Subscriber

I was wondering why i can't generate a mesh using this two commands. Are  they mutual exlusive? i can't generate a mesh with both face meshing and inflation. Why?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Yes, face meshing and inflation are mutually exclusive. ANSYS developers understood there would be difficulties completing the mesh on a face with inflation where it has to put some triangles in the center, which are not permitted in a face mesh.

• Andrea159357
      Subscriber

First of all i want to thank you for your prompt reply. I'm a new user so i'm sorry but i dont't know the specifics terms and the right procedure to mesh a 2D airfoil in a right way. I don't know if i have understood pretty well. I'm using face meshing to obtain a structured mesh but i want to add a boundary layer with inflation. Is there a way to obtain it without using both the commands? 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

The way to have both a structured mesh and an inflation layer is to split the fluid domain into four sided pieces, then each piece will mesh with quadrilateral elements naturally and inflation can be added at the walls.

Sometimes inflation mesh controls don't work the way you want them to, but if you have split the fluid domain into four sided pieces, you can use edge sizing mesh controls with bias to push the elements to one edge and create an inflation layer. That was done in this example.

Here is a video tutorial on meshing airfoils.

• Andrea159357
      Subscriber

• Andrea159357
      Subscriber

Thanks a lot, i will do it right now. Too bad that ICEM CFD is not on academic licence. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.