June 10, 2022 at 10:35 ams212145SubscriberHi,
I have simulated a laser structure consisting of a pin diode with a quantum well as active medium. I want to investigate the influence of the bandgap of the active medium on the IV curve. The bandgap is 0.8 eV and one would expect the turn on voltage of the diode to change as this bandgap changes. If the bandgap is lowered to 0.72 eV for example, this would mean that the current should start flowing at a lower applied bias. Analogous, if the bandgap is increased, the turn-on voltage of the diode is expected to increase. However, when I simulate this in Lumerical, the opposite effect is observed. I have attached the IV curves of the three different cases. From the figure it is clear that the maximum current flowing through the device is lower for a lower bandgap and that the turn-on voltage seems to increase with a decreasing bandgap. Do you have an idea what's going on that could cause this behaviour?
June 16, 2022 at 6:06 pmGuilin SunAnsys EmployeeYou are right. What I can suggest is to disable all the recombincation mechanisms and see what the results look like. There might be some thoery behind this.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Boost Ansys Fluent Simulations with AWS
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) helps engineers design products in which the flow of fluid components is a significant challenge. These different use cases often require large complex models to solve on a traditional workstation. Click here to join this event to learn how to leverage Ansys Fluids on the cloud, thanks to Ansys Gateway powered by AWS.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- “Import optical generation” or “delta generation rate”?
- Why am I getting “process exited without calling finalize”, and how do I fix it?
- Error: addfdtd is not a valid function or a variable name
- Error on Lumerical device
- Using a license file on a new license server
- Ansys Insight: Transmission results greater than one
- Ansys Insight: Diverging Simulations
- Ansys Insight: About override mesh in FDTD: its use and settings
- Is there a Lumerical script command to output the Simulation and Memory requirements?
- Ansys Insight: Convergence issues in CHARGE
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.