Fluids

Fluids

influence of the boundary layer on the wake of a wing

• manelaero2020
      Subscriber

Hi all 🙂👋

I'm simulating an airflow around a horizontal tailplane (HTp). The HTp is evidently positioned behind the wing. The presence of the wing disturbs the airflow seen by the HTp because of its wake. Due to the limitations of my computing resources, I haven't put inflation layers on the wing but only put on the HTp. 

The model of turbulence is K omega SST, I'm using fluent, the Aircraft Angle of Attach is 5° and the Mach is 0.3, the model is symmetrical.

It's likely there is no boundary layer separation for this case.In the absence of an inflation layer, Fluent approximates the velocity gradient near the wall by a law 

My question is the next : 

what could be the impact of the absence of the boundary layer on the wake of the wing ? 

I am worried for this reason :
      and if there was a such phenomena like separation which hasn't been well detected on the wing?
      So the wake behind the wing wich is supposed to impact HTp will'nt be well resolved , this will
      influence the final solution of the HTp 🤔

Thank you a lot for your help

All my kind regards

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Have a look at the courses on the site: under Learning to the top left of the screen. 

Re inflation. It's used to refine the mesh parallel to the wall as that's cheaper (lower cell count) than refining the whole mesh in that region. Not having inflation doesn't mean you can't have a sufficiently refined mesh at the wall, just that it may be costing you more cells. 

• manelaero2020
      Subscriber

Hi @Rob 

Thank you for the answer

do you speak about the function refinement ( I'm using Ansys meshing)? 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

The answer to your question will come from the training: these may include some (meshing) software sections but are primarily focussed on the underlying engineering and understanding. Software tutorials can be found by clicking on Help in the relevent panels. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.