General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Inistate command – initial stress state in ANSYS Workbench Mechanical

• ciema
      Subscriber
      I have managed to map initial stress state on my model, but I dont understand what is the practical use of it. I imagined that for example in the first step I can apply ISS and in the next step the stresses will be much higher if I apply other loads... if not, why someone uses this tool. I need to know precisely what is the practical of use it in ANSYS WORKBENCH Mechanical. Can anyone help me? Not many useful, practical information about Initial Stress State tool in manual though. n
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      nWhere did your initial stress state come from?nOne example I have found a practical use for initial stress has been on hanging cable models. A catenary shape may be drawn to represent a cable supported between two points and hanging with a significant sag due to gravity and not much tension in the cable. The solver will not converge without the initial stress on the elements.
    • ciema
      Subscriber
      Hello Peter, let me explain:nCalculations include two blocks of analysis - 2x Static Structural. In first analysis (called BASED) I use 1 Fixed Support and Pressure Applied to one face:nnIn the main branch of the second analysis I type the following command in the Commands (APDL) script:nINISTATE , SET , CSYS, 0nINISTATE , SET, DTYP , STREnINISTATE , READ , FILE , IST , '\TEMPORARY_ANSYS\WB_Name_2\wbnew_files\dp0\SYS-6\MECH'nINISTATE , LISTnnAnd here is the certain point: when I apply Fixed Support only on this face I receive the same deformations as in the base analysis.....n
    • ciema
      Subscriber
      It was not obligatory to use Initial Stress State in my case. I wanted to get close to this subject and tried to imagine why ISS can be used. Thank you very much for this very useful information.n
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.