Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Installing newer expiration date of ANSYS Student 18.2

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

The ANSYS Student 18.2 that I installed last year has expired.

I have ANSYS Student 19.0 and 19.1 installed and they are working.

I have downloaded a fresh copy of ANSYS Student 18.2 with a newer expiration date.

I have uninstalled the expired 18.2.  Can I install the new 18.2 even though 19.0 and 19.1 are already installed?

I wondered if I have to uninstall 19.0 and 19.1 and reinstall after the new 18.2 is installed so that they are installed in release order.

Regards,

Peter

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Peter,

There are two aspects of this:

1. Installation: I think the 'rules' for commercial products also apply to here. It's usually not recommended but it doesn't mean it's not going to work.

There could be an issue with Windows File Association.

2. Licensing: I still need to learn about student version licensing myself, so there is going to be some guess here

I would say, you can do this backward but it's best to make a copy of the following files first

- Files under (default location) C:Program FilesANSYS IncANSYS StudentShared FilesLicensingwinx64   

Since the files here are shared with any version installed under the same ANSYS Inc parent directory , these files must be from the latest version installed on the machine.

- Another file is the license file 'student.lic' under C:Program FilesANSYS IncANSYS StudentShared FilesLicensing  . Since this can be shared with other versions (it's under the Shared Files directory), I don't think it's version specific. But I'm not 100% if you need this file from the latest version installed. My guess is you don't need it to be from the latest version. Any student.lic that you get from any installation package should work as long as the license file still has valid date.

Thank you,

Win

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.