Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Interface wall thermal BC parameters for battery module

• lilly santana
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am trying to simulate the mid-plane of a lithium ion battery module in ANSYS Fluent (see attached image for idea of geometry) - so it's a 2D simulation. The circles represent solid battery cells and the rest is fluid flowing around the cells. I want to tell Fluent that the cells generate 2W of heat but I'm a bit confused on what to type in for the interface wall thermal BC inputs at the boundaries of the cells (see second attached image). I calculated the heat flux using 2/(2*pi*r*L) and made the thickness zero. Was the calculation of heat flux correct despite it being a 2D simulation? also, I am unsure on what I should put for the heat generation rate? Thank you!!

• Nikhil Narale
      Ansys Employee

Hello, 

You can't assume it 0. You must have assumed it 1, which is in a way correct, considering that other dimensions are also in meters. 

For a 2D case, Fluent uses 1 m as a default depth. You can change the depth value from the 'Reference Values' section. 

Nikhil 

• lilly santana
      Subscriber

Hi, 

Thank you for your reply. Can't assume what is zero?

• Nikhil Narale
      Ansys Employee

"made the thickness zero" 

Solver will by default use 1 m as the depth(thickness). 

• lilly santana
      Subscriber

Hi Nikhil,

Is this why Fluent makes my mesh 3D even though my simulation is 2D? mesh appears to be 1 cell thick?

• Nikhil Narale
      Ansys Employee

Are you using Fluent's post-processing or CFD-post? 

• lilly santana
      Subscriber

it does this in the meshing stage not post processing

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.