General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Interpolation methods in ANSYS Mechanical

• kirstenbraun
      Subscriber

Hello all,

I am in the process of modelling a full 3D tyre but have found that my model might be undergoing volumetric locking. I have read that by reducing the interpolation method that the effect that volumetric locking has on ones results can reduce. In my results the excessive non-realistic stiffness in the figure below, I believe, illustrates this phenomenon.

• Ashish Khemka
      Ansys Employee
      nnThe interpolation method post you entered here is for Fluent and you are looking to fit a force-displacement data? Please comment.nnRegards,nAshish Khemkan
    • kirstenbraun
      Subscriber
      , nThat is correct, the link I posted is for Fluent and even though I am looking at ANSYS Mechanical I thought I?d just mention it to emphasize that I couldn?t find any information on interpolation methods in ANSYS Mechanical. nThe data that I am looking at is Vertical Force versus Vertical Displacement, and am hoping to change the interpolation method so that the effect of volumetric locking (which I suspect to be the cause of the non-realistic stiffness increase in my result figure previously attached) is decreased. nThank you nKirsten
    • Mike Rife
      Ansys Employee
      Hi @kirstenbraun nWorkbench Mechanical will change the element integration (full, reduced) based on the material assigned to the part. For incompressible, or nearly so, a reduced scheme will be used. You can manually set this by first selecting the Geometry object; then in Details: Definition -> Element Control set this to Manual. Now select the specific part and in its Details: Definition -> Brick Integration Scheme can be manually set.nMiken
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.