General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Invalid Volume

• AndreaM
      Subscriber

Hi, I created an assembly by using PTC CREO, with 2 parts. I saved it as an IGES file and I imported it on Ansys. When I try to analyze it in Static Structural I got "Invalid Volume" as an error. It seems to that Ansys recognizes my model not as a solid but as a set of surfaces.

Thanks for the support!

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Yes, you can see those are all surface bodies in model tree.

You need to stitch them together to form a solid body.

Go to Repair tab and use Stitch, gap and missing face option. Have a look at following video. 

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Also, please like the answers which have helped you move forward and in the end, once your issue is resolved, please mark the most appropriate solution (most useful advice) as 'Is Solution'. This will help others who are using this thread to find answers to similar questions.

• AndreaM
      Subscriber

Thanks kkanade, your link was super-helpful !

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Good that you found it useful. 

Also, please like the answers which have helped you move forward and in the end, once your issue is resolved, please mark the most appropriate solution (most useful advice) as 'Is Solution'. This will help others who are using this thread to find answers to similar questions.

• kimant
      Subscriber

I have the same error "invalid volume" and i don't know why, is there some possibilities for this error? I created a solid body  (shaft) in SOLIDWORKS and I saved in Ansys as IGS file and also as STEP file (I tried with both) but it didn't work.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Try saving as Parasolid from SOLIDWORKS.

• kimant
      Subscriber

• kimant
      Subscriber

i got that when i saved as a parasolid

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I don't know how you get that error message.  It doesn't happen when you Save As a Parasolid from the SOLIDWORKS program, since that is an ANSYS error message.

When you have a Parasolid file, open Workbench and in a New Project, drag out a Geometry component. Start SpaceClaim.  In SpaceClaim, do File, Open and set the file type to Parasolid, then point to the file.  Close SpaceClaim.

There will be no problem when saving the Workbench file. If there is, put the Parasolid file you saved from SOLIDWORKS into a .zip file and attach that .zip file to your last post and I will have a look.

• kimant
      Subscriber

It worked! Thank you

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.