Fluids

Fluids

Is it possible to define (separate) a new volume in Post-processing step of Ansys Fluent?

• Nimaizadyar
      Subscriber

I would like to know whether it is possible to make a volume in the post-processing step?   My simulation includes a huge box that contains a building. I had meshed this geometry with ICEM, and then it has been simulated using Fluent (Ansys 19). In this step, I need to make a small box in the internal part of the building to find the average indoor air for the internal volume of the crated box. I know it is easy to define a surface (plane, sphere, etc.), but is it possible to separate a new volume, not surface, from the whole fluid that I have in the internal part, at the post-processing step of Fluent?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

You can create an adaption register (Mark the cells, do NOT adapt) and then use the separate mesh option to create a separate volume. This may not quite align with the room as it'll mark full cells but should be more-or-less right.  

• Nimaizadyar
      Subscriber

Thank you very much for your response. It helped me a lot to analyse my results.

I also have another question regarding the interaction between Fluent and my UDF file. I have provided a UDF file based upon the Predicted Mean Vote (PMV) equation, which is a function of my output wind speed and temperature. I have interpreted this UDF file, and Fluent has accepted it. However, I don't know how I should connect this UDF to the Fluent, to have the PMV results after simulation. For example, it is possible to find wind speed and temperature in all spots, so is it possible to have PMV results of all locations of the case study, or at least a selected part of the model (indoor area)?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

I've answered this in the new thread https://forum.ansys.com/forums/topic/connect-a-udf-file-to-the-simulation-results-to-calculate-an-index/ , so will lock this one. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.