Photonics

Photonics

Is it possible to simulate refractive index n < 1 in Lumerical?

• cflower
      Subscriber

Hello,

I would like to do some basic photonic simulations with a particular material, ITO, which can have a refractive index between n = 0 and n = 1. In reality this is realized by tuning the plasmon resonance frequency, but I don't actually need to simulate any plasmonics.

Will Lumerical FDTD handle this if I input something like an (n,k) material or analytic material with n = 0? So far I have not had much luck with this, the simulations just seem to diverge immediately. Any additional information would be appreciated, thanks!

C

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

yes, you can add (n,k) material and the aoftware will automatically fit the data for broadband use. Ideally, it is better to give permititivity, like Magnetic-electonic material model. Please refer this example: https://optics.ansys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041616614-Bulk-metamaterials-based-on-magnetic-and-electric-Lorentz-models

So you can either  using "n,k " material from the material database, or uisng analytical magnetic-electrinic material model, or calculate a series of refractive index ot permitivity, and import.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.