General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Is SMART crack feature able to integrate influence of an fluid environment?

• simon.shi
      Subscriber
      Hello everybody. Currently I am trying to simulate the influence of different fluids on the cracking behavior of polymer materials. Ultimately, my challenge is to predict the crack growth behavior within these fluids. In theory, the absorption of the fluid into the material leads to pressure within the material and a reduction of stress intensity factor and ultimately, premature failure. Does anybody have a suggestion as to how to best model this behavior/ if it is possible using the SMART feature? n
    • David Weed
      Ansys Employee
      Hi,nDo you know how the fluid will disperse throughout the material? If it will infiltrate open cracks and you know the magnitude and distribution of the pressure it causes, you may consider applying this to the crack faces. These sections in the MAPDL Fracture Analysis Guide explain how to do this using MAPDL commands: https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v202/en/ans_frac/fracSMART.htmln3.2.1.4.4. Normal Surface Pressure Loadn3.2.1.4.5. Normal Surface Pressure Load to New Crack Surfacesn
    • simon.shi
      Subscriber
      I?ll give it a try, thanks! n
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.