Is the damping value specified by the DMPSTR command related to the value specified by the DMPRAT co
October 4, 2017 at 12:20 pmVishal GanoreAnsys EmployeeYes, the DMPSTR value is equivalent to 2 times the value specifed by DMPRAT in a full harmonic analysis. See the explanation from development about why we have switched to DMPSTR for Full Harmonic: Prior to the documentation of the DMPSTR command, we *interpreted* DMPRAT as structural damping in a FULL harmonic analysis and included a factor of 2: C=2*DMPRAT/omega*[K]. DMPRAT was never a "damping ratio". When we introduced DMPSTR, it was to clearly state that this was structural damping and to make it consistent with the rest of the engineering community removed the factor of 2: C=DMPSTR/omega*[K].
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Boost Ansys Fluent Simulations with AWS
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) helps engineers design products in which the flow of fluid components is a significant challenge. These different use cases often require large complex models to solve on a traditional workstation. Click here to join this event to learn how to leverage Ansys Fluids on the cloud, thanks to Ansys Gateway powered by AWS.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- How to deal with the error message about “You have specified result time (or frequency) = xxxx for a
- Any suggestions on speeding up convergence behavior with surface-to-surface radiation?
- In a harmonic analysis, is the damping produced by MP,DMPR; TB,SDAMP; and DMPSTR constant vs frequen
- If SCDM issues the message “Cannot open the document. Reason: Failed to load body geometry.” and the
- Is the damping value specified by the DMPSTR command related to the value specified by the DMPRAT co
- What is cause of error: display time for result item greater than the step end time?
- Can I define springs with coincident nodes defining each end? Can I use one spring element to define
- Why the section plane icon is grayed out in Mechanical windows ? How to make the section plane windo
- Can you limit the expansion of modes to only those modes with a high participation factors by using
- Is viscoelasticity (TB,PRONY) equivalent to frequency-dependent structural damping (TB,SDAMP) in a h
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.