Is the damping value specified by the DMPSTR command related to the value specified by the DMPRAT co
October 4, 2017 at 12:20 pmVishal GanoreAnsys EmployeeYes, the DMPSTR value is equivalent to 2 times the value specifed by DMPRAT in a full harmonic analysis. See the explanation from development about why we have switched to DMPSTR for Full Harmonic: Prior to the documentation of the DMPSTR command, we *interpreted* DMPRAT as structural damping in a FULL harmonic analysis and included a factor of 2: C=2*DMPRAT/omega*[K]. DMPRAT was never a "damping ratio". When we introduced DMPSTR, it was to clearly state that this was structural damping and to make it consistent with the rest of the engineering community removed the factor of 2: C=DMPSTR/omega*[K].
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Check out more than 70 different sessions now available on demand. Get inspired as you hear from visionary companies, leading researchers and educators from around the globe on a variety of topics from life-saving improvements in healthcare, to bold new realities of space travel. Take a leap of certainty and check out a session today here.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- How to deal with the error message about “You have specified result time (or frequency) = xxxx for a
- Any suggestions on speeding up convergence behavior with surface-to-surface radiation?
- What is cause of error: display time for result item greater than the step end time?
- What causes the following Warning message to be issued: “material XXX has a crack softening property
- How can I do a response spectrum analysis using more than 10,000 modes? The current solver limit is
- If SCDM issues the message “Cannot open the document. Reason: Failed to load body geometry.” and the
- Can I define springs with coincident nodes defining each end? Can I use one spring element to define
- How can I get displacements, stresses and plastic strains at the integration points for a shell mode
- In SpaceClaim, when I take section of the assembly, it is not recognizing all parts. How to identify