Ansys Free Student Software

Ansys Free Student Software

Is there a way to renew the ANSYS Student 2020 R2 Edition whose Licence is Valid till 7/31/21?

• Murali_Manohar_N
      Subscriber

I have Installed the ANSYS Student 2020 R2 Academic Edition and the License is due to expire on 7/31/21 i.e., month.

Is there a way to renew it's License or should i Install ANSYS Student 2021 R1 Edition now?

Note: Its about 2020 R2 Edition not 2020 R 1 Edition.

Thank You

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      I'd install 2021R1, although R2 is due in the next month or so.
    • Murali_Manohar_N
      Subscriber
      Does that mean there's no way i can continue with the 2020 R2 Edition after 7/31/21??
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Not via Student unless the 2020R2 key is valid which will give you another few months. There's a sticky post covering that.
    • Murali_Manohar_N
      Subscriber
      What's the post?
      Also the expiry is this month, How will it come for another few months?
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      We typically ship Student with a 12 month key. As 2020R2 was released in August/September you'll get a little longer with that version if it's available. We changed the system with 2021R1 and the older builds can't use the new keys. Given the code is intended for learning I'd always recommend updating so you're learning the latest technology: the only reason to remain on an older build is for consistency for critical projects ie PhD and safety critical consultancy.
    • Murali_Manohar_N
      Subscriber
      Ok Got you Rob!!
      Will keep in mind to learn the latest technology with newer releases.
      Also, What is the changed system with 2021R1 from now onwards?
      The info under License Duration says Renewable along with 12 month lease.
      How exactly is that?
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      We updated some of the licence manager features, not sure what as it's not something that effects the software usage. The Student version ships with the 12 month (from creation) key, but we then let you replace the software so it's renewable. Commercial keys have options depending on how a company wants to work with us.
    • Murali_Manohar_N
      Subscriber
      Thank you Rob!! for your patience in answering my queries.
      I have understood now.
    • mzhossain2001
      Subscriber
      Hello Rob.
      I thought to make a follow up question. So it means - 2020 R2 is NOT RENEWABLE further. Though it was said that it will be renewable.

Now 2021 R1 is available until March 2022. And it says renewable. But it is not coming with Mechanical apdl.

Please comment with your take.

Thanks.
      Zahid Hossain

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      Note from in https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/19805/how-to-renew-ansys-student-product-license#latest
      Yes, there is good news. The upgraded version of 2020R2 will be available on July 14th. License key on the upgraded version will expire on Jan 31, 2022. 2020R2 will be removed from our website when we release 2022R1 in January next year.
      Not sure about APDL, as it's the solver under Mechanical, the Workbench interface is there to make it easier to use.
    • Vishal Ganore
      Ansys Employee
      Ansys Mechanical APDL is included in 2021R1. You should have access to this product. Let me know if you see any errors.
    • mzhossain2001
      Subscriber
      Thanks for the response. I don't see mechanical apdl in the bundle list , "what is included." Rather, I see Ansys multiphysics. How the ansys multiphysics runs? Is it with workbench or apdl?
      Did you install 2021R1? And did you get Mechanical apdl in the bundle installed?

• Vishal Ganore
      Ansys Employee
      I have updated the list under "What is included", added few products to the list including APDL. I also see APDL available on the Workbench Component Systems both on 2021R1 & R2.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.