Ansys Products

Ansys Products

is there any thumb rule to determine the number of cores and RAM requirement for Maxwell HPC lic. ?

• Sri
      Subscriber

I understand that it is based on the model complexity but even for less complex models, maxwell is not utilising the full capability of my workstation to reduce the simulation time. Can HPC license solve this issue by accelerating the simulation speed?

• AndyJP
      Subscriber
      Did not research it for Maxwell, because I generally solve one static Maxwell model per 10000 HFSS simulations...
      But in HFSS from v.13 to v.15, in models with magnetic materials used, I had optimal performance growth up to 6 cores. At 8 cores the improvement was marginal. At 12 cores (Dual-processor) there was aalready a negative affect of slowing down, probably because of progressively growing CPU-RAM I/O overhead. 16 cores per task was totally counterproductive.
      After v.15 the DrivenModal solver was updated and recompiled. Per-core performance was boosted with new CPU instructions, and possibility to offload the work to GPU (for pure dielectrics only).
      But the multicore performance today is AWFUL. Practically, HFSS main solver does not use more than 2 cores for computation in v.2020, and v.2021.
      I will not surprise, if situation is the same in Maxwell.

Benefit of multicore/HPC today is only in quick variations sweep, not available in scripting.

Yes, Ansys simply shot its own foot making purchasing of additional HPC licenses pointless to general designers.
    • Sri
      Subscriber
      Thanks for sharing your view.
    • Navya C
      Ansys Employee
      Hi@Sri HPC will help in speeding up the simulation.
      I suggest you connect with your department/university Ansys coordinator to get more details and help on this.

Regards Navya
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.