General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Is there anyway to calculate critical fracture energy in each direction (GcI) for materials?

Tagged: , , ,

• Puhan
      Subscriber

Hello

I hope you are doing well.

I am asking is there any way to calculate critical fracture energy in each mode if I have a model for example like the following.

I need it as I have to do VCCT in that material but I need to know the critical energy release rates in each direction. I have its material properties young's modulus and Poisson's ratio. please let me know what do you think.

• 1shan
      Ansys Employee
      Please have a look at this tutorial - Fracture Analysis of a Double Cantilever Beam (DCB) using Pre-Meshed Crack. You can use the Fracture Tool, VCCT (G1/G2/G3/GT) results to get energy release per mode.
      Regards Ishan.
    • Puhan
      Subscriber
      Hi
      Thank you very much for the reply. I just want to ask as I have to do xfem analysis with czm for crack growth in a material. But I don't have the critical energy release date information. Can I get it numerically? If yes, then in vcct I have to initiate a crack but in my actual problem I don't know where crack will form and grow that's why have to analyze it. So can you tell me how to find critical energy release rate?

With regards
      Biswabhanu Puhan

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.