Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Issue with HostID when trying to start new license server

• John Haug
      Subscriber

Hi,

I've been trying to set up a new license server to run on one of my machines to get a server for Zemax up and running, but I'm running into the following error when I try to start the server with the associated license file I was able to download:

"Did not upload file - Error: The hostid in the license file is not a valid hostid for this license server machine"

From what I can tell, the hostid of the machine that I'm trying to run the server on should be the same as that of the file generated when I was asked by an Ansys representative to run the license utility prior to actually being granted the Zemax license. I'm not really sure what else to do but if there's any recommendations on things to try and get this server running that'd be reallly helpful. If there's any other information I can provide feel free to let me know as well!

• ANSYS_MMadore
      Ansys Employee

Could you please confirm the hostid of the machine is 5254002a4d48? You can confirm this by looking at the 'Get System Hosti Information' from the Ansys License Management Center on the license server machine. This is the hostid used to issue the latest license file on 12/13/2022, and on 9/19/2022.

• John Haug
        Subscriber

So the hostid associated with the machine I was using was e275feeb, which also was in the licserver.info file I generated from running the license utility initially and gave to the Ansys rep I was working with. Also the new/updated license that I was using was issued on 12/22/2022, and I can provide the license file itself. From opening up the license file that I was added to and able to download, it looks like there's a different hostid associated with it than even the one you mentioned (b21a6896). It looks like it was a license I was added to instead of it being associated with my computer (I assume the licenses can't have multiple hostids?). When I tried to use that different hostid in the license utility for Zemax it still wasn't able to find anything unfortunately

• ANSYS_MMadore
      Ansys Employee

Please work with your Account Rep to ensure you have the right license for the right host. The way licenses are issued is to be installed to a central server and accessed by clients. The hostid is only for the license server itself, the clients simply install the products and communicate with the license server machine where the license is installed. Academic licenses aren't typically issued to individual user computers.  Are you able to communicate with the server using its hostname?

• John Haug
        Subscriber

Can do, I thought it was supposed to just be a trial version of Zemax associated with my account, but it looks like I was added to the academic license for my university, I'll go ahead and try and coordinate with the rep and our IT department to try and figure out if they have the correct host machine that they can update the license on to use or if I can get a different individualized license, thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.