Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Issues when meshing a complex gyroid shape heat sink

• KeshDB
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am doing a project which involves simulating the fluid flow in a complex geometry. I created the geometry, which is a triply periodic minimal surface using MathMod. I could not import the geometry (stl ASCII format) into ANSYS DesignModeler. I tried converting it into iges and I could import it to SpaceClaim but could not open the mesh. I am using ANSYS academic version 19 and the computer has 32 GB of RAM. Appreciate if anyone can help me understand what causes this issue and a method to overcome this.

Thanks

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

The free Academic license only allows geometry to have 50 bodies or 300 faces.

Can MathMod unite the surfaces then export as ACIS or Parasolid? 
      Parasolid is the native engine under DesignModeler. 
      The native engine under SpaceClaim is ACIS.
      STL is the least useful format for moving geometry.  

You can put the IGES file in a zip archive and attach the zip file to your post above.
      I have a full license for ANSYS and can try open it, or bring it into my CAD system and unite it there.

• KeshDB
      Subscriber

Thanks a lot. I attached the iges file herewith. Please let me know if you could open it. 

Appreciate it.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

The full ANSYS license is able to open your iges file using either SpaceClaim (fast) or DesignModeler. I attached an ANSYS 18.2 archive for you to look at. DM reports the face count as 69,927; a bit over the 300 face limit of the Student license. Meshing is able to fill the solid volume with 253,665 elements.

There is an optional SpaceClaim module for applying a skin surface to STL facets to reduce the number of faces, but I don't have that module.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.