General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Issues with an unconstrained truss model

• j.peach2
      Subscriber

Hello to whoever is reading this, 

I'm currently trying to model a 3D line body truss structure on the "static structural" module for a truss cantilever roof but I'm getting constraining issues. I created the geometry on Spaceclaim and imported it into Ansys. After some trouble shooting, I found out that to constrain the model, the purlins and bracings needs to be constrained along all axis for both translation and rotation which doesn't make sense as they don't need to be as the general truss is already constrained at one end. This makes me believe that, despite the line bodies being drawn/connected together on Spaceclaim, the purlins and bracings are not connecting to the vertical truss segments after the import process.

image of the model below:

• Govindan Nagappan
      Ansys Employee
      @Jordan_P
      How are you connecting these line bodies in spaceclaim?
      Make sure you use shared topology in Spaceclaim. Go to Workbench tab in spaceclaim and click on Share. Vertices that can be connected should be highlighted(you can modify tolerance if needed). Click on the check mark to connect the highlighted vertices. See if it help
      Or you may be able to use Node merge in Mechanical to merge the nodes that are not connected( Right click on Mesh branch for this option)
    • j.peach2
      Subscriber
      Ok, so I've altered the topology to "shared" and it has worked, thanks
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.