Fluids

Fluids

Topics relate to Fluent, CFX, Turbogrid and more

Larger STL file of 1.2 gb is not running in ANSYS Workbench

TAGGED: , ,

• Akash Mishra
      Subscriber

We imported the STL file of 1.2 gb into the SpaceClaim interface in ANSYS, but the next step of meshing is not responding.

Kindly let me know what are the solutions to this problem. 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Check the hardware load, I suspect you've tried reading too many facets into SpaceClaim and have locked up either the cpu (processing connectivity) or RAM (model is very large). 

• NickFL
      Subscriber
      Just to back up Rob's point, I have a 4+ GB STL that I have been working with in SpaceClaim without a problem. I do have a nice workstation that can handle it, and would never try it on my laptop. Rob, is there a limit on the number of triangles for a student version of ANSYS? Maybe that could be a problem (just a shot in the dark). Although it would probably throw up an error under such conditions.
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee

I think there's a surface number limit in the geometry tools, and depending on the number of triangles that may not work when reading into Mechanical. 

• Akash Mishra
      Subscriber

What should be the specifications of the PC that I can buy to use Ansys for a 2 or 4 gb stl file ?

And if possible mention specifications for laptop too 

• NickFL
        Subscriber

My workstation is an AMD 12-core (physical) 3,8 GHz with 64 GB of RAM. The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT710. You should not need so much, but better too much as too little.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Our Ansys laptops have 64GB RAM but I'd be wary of reading in too big an stl simply because of the connection/checking time. You may find Fluent Meshing handles the files more readily. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.