July 20, 2022 at 2:22 amjjleeSubscriber
I want to perform LES combined with DPM, spray evaporation on to chamber
Just so you know, there is no other inlet condition (inlet velocity, mass flow inlet) except DPM injection.
(2 dimensional rectangular geometry)
I know that LES requires precursor RANS simulation steps for inlet profile, but in my case, I don't have any inlet condition except DPM injection
Plus, I’ve read also RANS steps should not be used for reacting flows from [ANSYS quick guide to setting up LES-type simulations].
So, I’ve tried several LES with DPM, without precursor RANS simulation.
But it resulted in high continuity residual.( close to 1e+02)
The conditions used in my simulations are as follows
Mesh element size: 0.01mm (near injector) with high mesh orthogonal quality
Transient simulation with time step size 1e-6 [s]
Method: SIMPLEC, Bounded central differencing, and Transient Formulation: Bounded Second Order Implicit
- Species transport
- DPM with single injection, 500m/s (X-velocity), ethyl-alcohol-liquid, Particle type: Droplet(Evaporating of droplet applied)
I want to know whether LES with DPM is possible without RANS pre-simulations.
(I tried several LES with DPM, turning off ‘species transport’ but still it resulted in high continuity residual.)
I thought that mesh size and time step were small enough compared to conventional RANS simulations, but the results were frustrating.
the geometry and residuals are as below.
I really appreciate if you let me know what the problem is :)
July 20, 2022 at 8:59 amRobAnsys Employee
Plot the flow field and use some monitors to see what's going on. Also, carefully read what the residual plot is, and explain why it might not be as useful as we'd like in this case.
July 21, 2022 at 6:25 amDrAmineAnsys Employee
LES and 2D?
I recommend using a precursor ran to assess mesh resolution and time step and based on that you can setup your LES or SBES run make velo field instatneoues and run.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
- Suppress Fluent to open with GUI while performing in journal file
- Heat transfer coefficient
- What are the differences between CFX and Fluent?
- Floating point exception in Fluent
- Time Step Size and Courant Number
- Difference between K-epsilon and K-omega Turbulence Model
- Floating point exception
- The solver failed with a non-zero exit code of : 2
- How to model free convection warming of liquid in a plastic bag