Ansys Products

Ansys Products

License Error when Online

• KKBH
      Subscriber

Hi

I have a paid Ansys license (Not student version). Whenever I run Electronic desktop while I am online it always shows Flexim Error. But it works fine when I turn off the wifi (after restarting my laptop 2 times). I dont understand the problem. When online, even the License Manager shows error in Flexnet License Status.

And because of this problem I am not able to connect other PCs by making that as a server.

Thanks.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi KKBH,

Wifi should not affect the License Manager functionality unless somehow it changes your IP resolution. VPN is usually the thing that can affect this.

You can check whether IP resolution is the issue or not by comparing the output of the ping command while on and off of wifi. Open CMD Prompt, then

ping

replace with the same hostname that you are using in the ANSYS license file (on the SERVER line)

Also, can you provide the exact error message that you see in the License Manager ?

Thank you,

Win

• Krishan Kant
      Subscriber

Hi Tsiriaks

I tried pinging both online and offline. In one case I am getting reply from : : 1 :  , like it is blank address and in other case there is an address. Could that be the problem?

And exact error message when I am online is this.

Failed to check out license 'hfss_desktop'.

Cannot connect to license server (FLEXlm Error -15)

Failed to check out license 'designer_desktop'.

Failed to check out license 'q3d_desktop'.

Failed to check out license 'maxwell_desktop'.

Failed to check out license 'simplorer_desktop'.

Failed to check out license 'electronics_desktop'.

Thank you

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Krishan Kant ,

That error is when you are launching AEDT, right ? This is not from ANSYS License Manager.

You can try this

go to (default location) C:Program FilesAnsysEMadmin

then open up any .lic file in here and modify the content to look like

SERVER 127.0.0.1 ANY 1055

USE_SERVER

Does this help ?

If not, go to (default location) C:Program FilesANSYS IncShared FilesLicensinglicense_files , then modify all of the license files (those end with .lic) such that the line that starts with SERVER is using the 'localhost' instead of hostname. Something like

SERVER localhost ######## 1055

Then, open up CMD Prompt and issue the following command (please modify your path accordingly)

"C:Program FilesAnsys IncShared FilesLicensingwinx64ansysli_server" -k reread

Does this help ?

If this still doesn't help, this is not an IP resolution issue.

Thank you,

Win

• KKBH
      Subscriber

Hi Win

Thanks for the options.

I tried all of these and it is still not working. I dont know what could be the problem. I am trying to setup a different PC as server and then try to access license from that PC to my laptop.

Thank you

Krishan 

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Krishan,

Sorry, my suggestion was for local license server. If your client machines are not hosting the licenses, all communications would go through network. There are two essential ports that need to be open between the server and client machines:

1. FlexNet port (default is 1055, this is defined on the SERVER line of the installed license files on the license server, e.g. C:Program FilesANSYS IncShared FilesLicensinglicense_filesansyslmd.lic)

2. ANSYS Vendor Daemon (ansyslmd) port. This by default runs on dynamic port meaning that the port number would change each time that you restart the ANSYS License Manager. You can, however, set this port to run on a static (fixed) port by opening up the installed license file(s) , see the example path above. Then, modify the VENDOR line so that it looks like this

VENDOR ansyslmd PORT=1056

This is to set ANSYS Vendor Daemon (ansyslmd) port to be on 1056 but of course, you can change the number to be anything that you like (just make sure that it's not being used by other process on the license server systems.)

Once you know these two ports, you must make sure that client can communicate with server with both ports (i.e., ports are open). You can test the communication by using the 'telnet' command from client machines. Open CMD Prompt, then issue

telnet

telnet

please replace

by the actual hostname of the server

by the actual port number used for FlexNet (this is by default port 1055) 

by the actual port number used for ansyslmd (this is what you set above) 

If the communication is fine, you would see a blank black screen.

Note that the machine may not have telnet feature turned on. You can turn it on by typing Windows features in "Search Windows" tool box , then look for "Turns Windows features on or off" and launch this. Then, scroll down to the bottom and check "Telnet Client" > OK

If you have any issue with the network communication, contact your IT.

On the license server, if you are using Windows Firewall, you can also add Firewall exceptions for 

C:Program FilesANSYS IncShared FilesLicensingwinx64lmgrd.exe

C:Program FilesANSYS IncShared FilesLicensingwinx64ansyslmd.exe

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Win

• David Yakinian
      Ansys Employee

Hello,

You would need a new license file to set it up on a different PC. I am surprised what Win outlined above did not work. When you change networks, this can cause issues, because the IP and/or hostname can change depending on what network you are on. So what you would do is as Win suggested, you change both the license file and the redirect.lic file to read either 127.0.0.1 or localhost and then use that re-read command from Win above. Make sure they both match, and I would use 127.0.0.1 for both. So basically:

redirect.lic

SERVER 127.0.0.1 ANY 1055

USE_SERVER

ansoftd.lic and/or ansyslmd.lic ( in the license_files directory )

SERVER 127.0.0.1 ######## 1055

Open up start, type in cmd, right click, run as admin:

"C:Program FilesAnsys IncShared FilesLicensingwinx64ansysli_server" -k reread

If that doesn't work then you could try the same two above but use localhost. Let us know if it doesn't work!

Thanks.

• KKBH
      Subscriber

Hi

I tried changing redirect.lic , ansyslmd.lic with all the hostname combinations and its not working.

When I tried Telnet, it is giving me blank screen (I had to specify 1055 1056 2325 in Firewall). But when I run a simulation while online. I am still getting the error that Unable to locate or start COM engine.

What I can do now. I think the installation is local. I got this license from my sponsors so I have no idea how it is supposed to work.

The license has my laptop as hostname, so I think it is a local license.

But any help is really appreciated. Its really frustrating. 

Is there any option I can use laptop as a server and run Ansys on a different PC and direct to the laptop(server) for license.

Thanks  

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi KKBH,

Those instructions were for licensing issue/error like what Krishan showed

####

Failed to check out license 'hfss_desktop'.

Failed to check out license 'designer_desktop'.

Failed to check out license 'q3d_desktop'.

Failed to check out license 'maxwell_desktop'.

Failed to check out license 'simplorer_desktop'.

Failed to check out license 'electronics_desktop'.

####

The error message "Unable to locate or start COM engine." has nothing to do with licensing (and if you got to that point, it means your licensing is good).

Now for this error, if you are solving locally on your machine and see it, it means there are some anti-virus or Firewall software blocking the 'com engine' processes. I would recommend to add Firewall exceptions and Anti-virus exclusion to the entire 'AnsysEM' folder (e.g., for default location, C:Program FilesAnsysEM ) . Another possible issue would be that you are connecting to both wifi and LAN at the same time, you can try to connect to only one of them and see if it helps.

However, if this error happens when you solve remotely, there are many causes of this issue and would require more information. Let me know if this is the case, I can ask you to check certain things.

Thank you,

Win

• duzer
      Subscriber

Hi to everybody, I have a problem like KKBH, but with a bit different situation. I download ANSYS files from my university website and installed all. I defined the server machine name and port. But from the beginning, it gives Flexlm error 15. 

I've tried the installation again and again and again, but there is nothing different. I' d installed Licence manager, not installed, repaired, modified, close firewall and antivirus program, .... But still the same error. 

Could you advise something more? 

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi duzer ,

Please create a new thread for your issue, then let us know the result of ping/telnet test as stated earlier.

Thanks,

Win

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.