General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Local coordinate system / shear def

• jonsys
      Subscriber

On a simple sandwiched beam attached, I apply a displacement.

Like in the sketch below (representing the far edge of beam), the model will rotate and also the middle layer will get squeezed because of its low Youngs Modulus.

I am struggling to find a way to measure

• how much this middle layer is squeezed

• what is the value of d (or better 2d)

Any suggestions will be helpful.

attached is also the model.

Regards,

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Jon,

See if you can create a remote point in the middle of the bottom or top beams. If you are not able to you can even use the approximate node in the middle. Then once the simulation has completed, Click on the Solution object in the Structure tree and then on Worksheet. Here select the position or the displacement U, scope it to the 2 points(Remote point, vertices or nodes) and evaluate the results. This should give you 2*d.

Regards,
      Sandeep

• jonsys
      Subscriber

thank you for the reply Sandeep,

I created a remote point by node selection in the following positions:

or

but for both cases I get this warning and the analysis does not converge after 4 Bisections and 100 iterations:

What might have gone wrong?

• Rohith Patchigolla
      Ansys Employee

Jon, 

One more idea is use Relative Displacement ACT App, to create a co-ordinate system, which moves and rotates along with the top face  (of the three faces), with Z axis normal to the face. Then you can scope any mid-side node of the middle face, extract nodal z displacement relative to this co-ordinate system, which will give you d. 

You can find the APP at the below link in ANSYS APP store.

https://catalog.ansys.com/product/5b3bc6857a2f9a5c90d32eaf/relative-displacem

Best regards,

Rohith

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Jon,

Just use the nodes for position calculations in Solution>Worksheet>USUM for scoping? you can easily get 2*d here. That is just a warning and I believe it is caused by the way you are scoping the middle remote point. Look in the solver output for details. Here is a very good blog on remote objects which talks about visualizing and dealing with the messages they can generate.

P.S: Please take a moment to look at the Best Practices on the Student Community.

Regards,
      Sandeep

• jonsys
      Subscriber

thank you Sandeep, but I did not understand your explanation. Probably in pictures it would be easier or just modifying the model and attaching.

Regards,

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Let's say you have this beam.

you might just want to insert an user-defined result for the variable:

Upon Evaluation this will give you this result:

Note that I've inserted a user-defined co-ordinate axis at one of the nodes. If you are using the global coordinate system you might have to just subtract the min and max values in the contour plot.

Regards,
      Sandeep

• jonsys
      Subscriber

Sandeep,

thank you very much; now everything is more clear now

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.