General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Loosening behavior of threaded pipes

• karthikeyan.m
      Subscriber

Im trying to simulate the loosening behavior of threaded pipes in ansys. Can anyone suggest what is the correct way to perform this simulation and is there any formulas to avoid this threaded pipe loosening?

Note: In my design, no special washers are used. Only pretension is there to prevent the pipe loosening.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Thread adhesive is a good way to prevent threads from loosening.
    • karthikeyan.m
      Subscriber
      Thanks for the suggestion.
      I would like to simulate the rotational behavior of this joints. Is there any way to include the adhesive behavior in Ansys ?.
      Here I'm actually using transient simulation to study this rotational behavior. Is there any other simulation method used to study this loosening behavior?
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Please insert an image of the cross-section of the pipe thread interface. How is pretension developed? I imagine there are two faces that come together.
      Yes, the adhesive can be included in the model and Cohesive Zone Material model can simulate the failure of the adhesive.
      I saw a post that simulated a nut and bolt clamping to parts together and the plates had a vibration force that caused loosening.
      https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/30001/loosening-of-bolt-under-dynamic-loading
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.