LS Dyna

LS Dyna

Machining simulation- Contact detection failed Explicit Dynamics

• bobsik641
      Subscriber

Hey guys,

I'm conducting a 2D plane strain machining simulation in Explicit Dynamics. The program fails to detect the contact between the cutter (rigid) and the specimen (explicit Ti alloy). At first, I thought it could be due to the mesh being too coarse. So I refined the grid near the interface, but the contact is still missed.

Any ideas how to solve that?

I don't need the mesh to be super fine for now, this is just a "test case"/"test setup"

• Missy Ji
      Ansys Employee
      It seems the contact was detected initially, so the workpieces got the deformation and elements removed, did you use mass scaling, how much mass scaling you are using, what is the time step you used?nmaybe you can post the energy summary here.n
    • bobsik641
      Subscriber
      No mass scaling, timestep program controlled. nActually, there's a problem with contact detection at the tip of the cutter. Take a look at the animation- uploading .mp4 files is not permitted, so I just zipped it .nnn
    • bobsik641
      Subscriber
      Any ideas on what could be the cause of this problem?n
    • bobsik641
      Subscriber
      I forgot to turn erosion on material failure ON, the default max plastic strain=1.5 caused too much plastic flow and the contact detection failed. Now it's fine.n
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.