Electronics

Electronics

magnetization (recoil line)

• EM_Design
      Subscriber

Hello

I have been struggling with magnetization of a magnet in Maxwell.  I apply a current and expect to see the some Remanence (magnetic field density (Br)) after removing the current. However the B goes to zero after the current. Here is the procedure I do:

from assign excitation > set magnetization computation > compute magnetized operation points > select the magnet (see attached figure).

Then run the simulation and the magnetization process is successful, however after removing the current, the curve (B) goes back to zero; however in reality it should stay somewhere in the y axis (see attached figure. This would count as the magnetization state of the magnet. Does anybody know how to fix this problem?!!

• Paul Larsen
      Ansys Employee

There are several options for magnetization.  The method you are using for "Compute magnetized operation points" requires two linked models (either same or different geometry).  The first simulation only calculates the peak operating points on the BH curves.  In the second simulation, it will operate on the recoil lines, and needs to be set up with Permanent Magnet excitation (not assigned to an object if using same geometry, or assigned to an object with object CS if using different geometry).

Please see the Maxwell help topic "Permanent Magnet Field Excitations for 2D and 3D Transient and Magnetostatic Solvers" to look at the second step.

• EM_Design
      Subscriber

great thanks. I could run the second simulation but I got more question now. I understand I have to set the permanent magnet excitation mode and set it magnetization mode. right? Now the actual question is if I need to apply any extra excitation. should I set the current that I was applying in the first simulation to zero in the second one?

• EM_Design
      Subscriber

still waiting for the answer...

• Paul Larsen
      Ansys Employee

You can use any excitation in the second model and the magnet will follow the recoil line.  You can set zero excitation or any alternate excitation configuration.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.