Electronics

Electronics

Magnetostatic analysis for Ring Magnet

• radhikaiyer
      Subscriber

I am trying to simulate an axially polarized Neodymiun N42 ring magnet (3 in O.D., 2 in I.D., 0.5 in thickness). As a result, I want to see the magnetic field lines generated by the magnet and field intensity on the surface and around it. The medium is air. I am expecting the field intensity to be symmetric but somehow I am not getting the expected results. I don't know if my polarization direction is wrong. I just want a validation for my results.

Thank you,

Radhika 

• Mark Solveson
      Ansys Employee

First ensure that your magnetization direction is set properly in the Material Definition dialog.  
      Magnetization direction can be assigned several ways, below are three such approaches. 

1. Editing the existing material property with Z-component Unit Vector assigned as "1", or
      2. Cloning an existing material to create a new material, then editing the existing material property to assign the magnetization in the Z-Component, or
      3. Using the existing material property (which is default magnetized in the X-direction) and creating a new coordinate system that aligns the x-direction of that coordinate system with the desired magnetization direction.  

The screen capture below, shows option #2 - the new material definition with Z-Component assigned as "1", and "0" for the other Components ...

• radhikaiyer
      Subscriber

I am doing it in Ansys workbench 19.0. I could not find such options. The 1st image below shows my polarization coordinates. X is the direction of my field lines from S to N. After simulation, my field lines look non symmetric as shown in 2nd image. Is my approach correct?

• Mark Solveson
      Ansys Employee

The previous post was assuming use of the tool Maxwell in the Electronics Desktop, which is part of the ANSYS Electronics download.  
      If you have access to the Electronics Desktop, Maxwell may be an easier modeling method for these types of electromagnetics problems as it can take advantage of automatic adaptive meshing to very quickly generate an accurate solution.  

If this is implemented in Workbench using the magnetostatic solver, you may consider re-posting this question to the structural mechanics or multi-physics post, where someone may be able to better help with this setup.     
      But, upon inspection of your flux plot, you may simply need a finer mesh inside as well as outside the magnet, in the air.    

• kashminder
      Subscriber

Hello, I am trying to do the simulation of a magnetic field of a magnet with a hole. I tried it with the R-component having a non zero value and others as zero value. I got the right plots, but when I tried the same with z-coordinates i.e non zero value for z and 0 for others, my b-vector plots are not right as they are just showing arrows not the whole magnetic field as they where showing with r-component as a non zero value. also the solution doesn't converge well when i tried to find the magnetic field along z-axis

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.