Fluids

Fluids

Make perforated double twisted tape inserts in Ansys Fluent Desegn Modeler

• cfd_sci cfd_sci
      Subscriber

Hi,
      I am going to use Ansys Fluent to do the CFD analysis on 2 different geometries to investigate heat transfer enhancement features like Nusselt number, Friction factor, and Eta: both geometries are a tube with double perforated twisted tape inserts. The difference is the type of hole(one is circle and the other is rectangle). Based on the videos I have found, I know how to make a twisted tape insert in a tube. My questions are:
      how to make the holes on the created double twisted tape inserts based on the following images?(Is it possible to make multiple holes on a rectangular plate  using "pattern" feature in design modeler then twist it? If yes, how?)
      what kind of mesh and also meshing method do you suggest to mesh these thin(around 3mm thickness) inserts?
      Thanks for your time and consideration

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Making the twisted ribbon is relatively simple, use the Sweep method. Adding the holes isn't as I can't see a way of getting pattern to translate and rotate, you'd want to use cylinders and then subtract too: getting the "holes" to align with the ribbon will be virtually impossible given surface definitions and tolerances. 

In Fluent the ribbon can either be a solid or a thin wall. Either way you'll want inflation and a good axial resolution plus 4-5 cells (at least) across each hole and the plate thickness. That's going to be expensive (in cell count) so you may want to investigate translational periodic models. 

• cfd_sci cfd_sci
      Subscriber

Thanks for your reply. Do have any suggestion how to make these holes in Ansys fluent?(without using any third party software.) About "translational periodic models" in Ansys Fluent, it would be grate if you could provide a tutorial video link.

Thanks

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Holes I can't help with, other than to work out the axis of each and then create. 

If you click on Help in Fluent you'll get to the documentation and tutorials, you may find there isn't a tutorial, but the documentation (periodics are covered in boundaries and heat transfer) is pretty good. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.