3D Design

3D Design

manipulating angles between two bodies

• bushrar
      Subscriber

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to input an exact angle between two bodies as indicated below

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Here is how you could do that in DesignModeler.

The attached file is an ANSYS 18.2 archive.

• bushrar
      Subscriber

Unfortunately since I have version 17, I could not open the file.  So the gist of it was that you drew a sketch of the body outline?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Yes, but I added some symmetry constraints so the points would stay on the planes. Do you have 17.2?

• bushrar
      Subscriber

I have version 17.0.  It should still work the same there, right?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Here is my video recorded using 17.2

• FrankD
      Ansys Employee

In SC, when you use an annotation dimension (forced to be in a plane) accessed in the Detail tab, you can dimension between the cones:

A Pull of geometry (here the vertex at the apex of one of the cones) can change the geometry directly (offset or in a direction by some amount):

Or by linking the pull to an existing annotation dimension with the spark that shows up:

Allowing the Linear Pull to be driven by the Angular annotation dimension.

This can be stored as a reusable Group (Ctrl-G):

And perhaps more interestingly, can also be used to drive Pull and Move amounts to solve some desired Mass Property (here Volume drives the linear Pull):

The trick there is to make sure to select the desired mass property while the pull dimension is active.

F

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.