General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Mapping of stresses on deformed geometry

• sebrigify
      Subscriber

Hello!

I'm currently doing a non linear analysis with high deformations. In my simulation I have different load steps and I want to divide the system so that I don't have to redo load step 1 if I wanna tweak load step 2 (since the model is taking a long time to calculate). The export of the deformed geometry with mesh I realize through drag and drop in Workbench, the mapping of the initial stresses I realize through exporting the von Mises stresses and importing them through "external data" and mapping them on the corner nodes of the deformed system.

My analysis always stops without producing any graph in the force convergence window (but doing some bisections according to the solver output) with an "error in element formulation" and I think it's because of highly distorted elements in the mesh (due to the information in the solver output).

I think I might have to change some of the import settings, but I don't have a clue where to start (see attached screenshot)

• Ashish Khemka
      Ansys Employee

Please see if the following link helps:

Excessive Element Distortion ÔÇö Ansys Learning Forum

Regards Ashish Khemka
    • sebrigify
      Subscriber
      Hey Ashish Thank you for your response, but it didn't solve my problem. I found the information I needed in the Mechanical user guide under "Recommendations and Guidelines for Mapping of Initial Stress and Strain Data". Mapping of the stresses is not recommended for nonlinear simulations - Interpolating the initial stress leads to an incorrect stress distribution in the model.
      Cheers
      Sebastian
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.