Fluids

Fluids

Material Properties in the Mushy Zone in FLUENT UDF

• Dubey92
      Subscriber

I am using Solidifciation/Melting in FLUENT and I have temperature dependent properties for the material. I have properties for the pure solid and pure liquid separately which are temperature dependent. I want to know how to write the property for the mushy zone(between solidus and liquidus). I have read in research papers that the properties in the mushy zone are function of liquid fraction but when I am using the formula, I am facing convergence issues. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

How much do the values change, over what temperature range and how well resolved is the mesh? 

• Dubey92
      Subscriber

Rob, the values for the solid and the liquid both are different functions of temperature. The mushy zone varies over around 50-60 K. The mesh is very fine(1 micron).

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Can you plot the two sets of properties as they're added to Fluent (ie use the values from the Fluent panel) on one graph? I want to see the bit around and through the mushy zone. 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

You are adjusting the material properties for Solid and the Liquid part. The Mushy properties will be derived from these properties.

• Dubey92
      Subscriber

@ DrAmine, So I have properties from room temperature till solidus point(start of melting) and then above liquidus point(complete liquid). Do I need to give properties in between solidus and liquidus or FLUENT can adjust itself?

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Properties are required between liquidus and solidus so if you do not have these values that is okay as you need to provide piece-wise linear / polynomial values for all thermo-transport properties. 

Which propertis do you have in mind?

• Dubey92
      Subscriber

@DrAmine. Thermo-physical properties like thermal conductivity and specific heat. The issue is that I am giving these properties through UDF and not putting them in Fluent manually. 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Should not be a problem. Fluent is intepreting the properties as porperties for single phase component so be careful there with providing the temperature dependency.

• Dubey92
      Subscriber

Thanks a lot.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.