Electronics

Electronics

Maxwell – Machine Toolkit generated maps (Efficiency maps and others)

• gabrielfs
      Subscriber

Hi all, 

I've been using the Machine toolkit on Electronics Desktop 2020R2 to generate efficiency maps (and other maps) based on Maxwell 2D and 3D designs. However, for some reason, the resulting maps are limited to 100Nm and 5000rpm, which does not reflect the whole operating area of the machine I am designing.

How can I resize the displayed results so it would show higher torques and speeds?

I am aware that, in theory, this should be pretty intuitive to do. However I've tried different approaches (which includes running the simulation again with different settings), but I just can't find a way for the generated maps to include the whole operating region of the machine. In fact, I cannot change the displayed region at all.

Any help is appreciated and I thank you in advance!

P.S.: I've looked for other threads regarding the Machine Toolkit but could not find anything related to a similar problem. I did find this link posted here by a user named kkeikhos (apparently from Ansys), which supposedly has a tutorial on the Machine Toolkit. However, the link requires that someone gives me access to it - I've already requested the access, but was not granted so far. If anyone has this file/tutorial and could share it, that could be of help too!

• Navya C
      Ansys Employee

Hello,

Are you talking about one particular design or, are you seeing these limits for every design you create?

Can you explain more about your model setup In terms of which machine are you analyzing,  what is your machine design toolkit setup, and about the plots you are plotting?

I hope you checked whether it is your design limitation.

Regards,

Navya

• gabrielfs
      Subscriber

Hi Navya,

Thanks for taking the time to answer this thread!

Regarding your questions...
      - I am talking about a particular design. Although I haven't tried many others to be able to confirm that the problem is only in this one, I have ran one other design that did not have the same problem. The design, however, was limited to much lower velocities, although it achieved slightly higher torque. Therefore, I did not jump to the conclusion that it was a design specific problem, because, the way I see it, it can also be a limit in the number of points plotted in the efficiency map.
      - As for the machine being analyzed, it is a adjust-speed synchronous machine, 48s8p, ~120kW (350Nm, 3000rpm). As for the toolkit setup, I am not sure of the specifics you want to know, but I would not say there is anything worth mentioning... I am setting it as a PM Synchronous with 8 poles and 3 phases. Sinusoidal PWM as Voltage Control and Maximum Torque per Ampere as Control Strategy. 0.9 modulation index, and as Motor. I did not change much in the Design of Experiments part, apart from setting 15 speed points up to 15000rpm.
      - I am not aware that I can choose the plots generated by the toolkit, so the toolkit is basically plotting all the default maps - although I am only interested in the Efficiency map and Power Factor map.

And I did check the design limitation - as I said, it's rated to ~350Nm, 3000rpm.

While answering your questions, the only thing I have realized here is that I was setting the voltage in the toolkit thinking of the rated voltage (not Line-Line RMS, which is what is asked for). However, I don't see that affecting the results to the point that the machine would only operate in the 100Nm, 5000rpm region. I will, however, run the simulation again taking the line-line into account. [EDIT: never mind. That only applies for the Line-Line as Voltage Control. Either way, I am changing the design a little to check if the problem is design specific.]

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will update the thread in a few hours with the new simulation results.

Meanwhile, please, let me know if any further details are needed.

• gabrielfs
      Subscriber

Hi Navya,

I apologize about the delayed response, but I had to leave simulations running overnight. 
      It was, indeed, a design specific problem, thus I apologize for having created this thread.

Thanks for the support and feel free to delete the thread, if needed.

• Navya C
      Ansys Employee

Hello,

No Problem at all. It is good learning.

Good to hear that your problem is solved. 

Let's keep the thread. It may help someone.

Please mark the appropriate answer as 'Is Solution' for the benefit of others in the community.

Regards

Navya

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.