July 20, 2020 at 11:04 pmgabrielfsSubscriber
July 22, 2020 at 4:23 pmNavya CAnsys Employee
Are you talking about one particular design or, are you seeing these limits for every design you create?
Can you explain more about your model setup In terms of which machine are you analyzing, what is your machine design toolkit setup, and about the plots you are plotting?
I hope you checked whether it is your design limitation.
July 22, 2020 at 6:52 pmgabrielfsSubscriber
Thanks for taking the time to answer this thread!
Regarding your questions...
- I am talking about a particular design. Although I haven't tried many others to be able to confirm that the problem is only in this one, I have ran one other design that did not have the same problem. The design, however, was limited to much lower velocities, although it achieved slightly higher torque. Therefore, I did not jump to the conclusion that it was a design specific problem, because, the way I see it, it can also be a limit in the number of points plotted in the efficiency map.
- As for the machine being analyzed, it is a adjust-speed synchronous machine, 48s8p, ~120kW (350Nm, 3000rpm). As for the toolkit setup, I am not sure of the specifics you want to know, but I would not say there is anything worth mentioning... I am setting it as a PM Synchronous with 8 poles and 3 phases. Sinusoidal PWM as Voltage Control and Maximum Torque per Ampere as Control Strategy. 0.9 modulation index, and as Motor. I did not change much in the Design of Experiments part, apart from setting 15 speed points up to 15000rpm.
- I am not aware that I can choose the plots generated by the toolkit, so the toolkit is basically plotting all the default maps - although I am only interested in the Efficiency map and Power Factor map.
And I did check the design limitation - as I said, it's rated to ~350Nm, 3000rpm.
While answering your questions, the only thing I have realized here is that I was setting the voltage in the toolkit thinking of the rated voltage (not Line-Line RMS, which is what is asked for). However, I don't see that affecting the results to the point that the machine would only operate in the 100Nm, 5000rpm region. I will, however, run the simulation again taking the line-line into account. [EDIT: never mind. That only applies for the Line-Line as Voltage Control. Either way, I am changing the design a little to check if the problem is design specific.]
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will update the thread in a few hours with the new simulation results.
Meanwhile, please, let me know if any further details are needed.
July 23, 2020 at 4:49 pmgabrielfsSubscriber
I apologize about the delayed response, but I had to leave simulations running overnight.
It was, indeed, a design specific problem, thus I apologize for having created this thread.
Thanks for the support and feel free to delete the thread, if needed.
July 23, 2020 at 5:02 pmNavya CAnsys Employee
No Problem at all. It is good learning.
Good to hear that your problem is solved.
Let's keep the thread. It may help someone.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Check out more than 70 different sessions now available on demand. Get inspired as you hear from visionary companies, leading researchers and educators from around the globe on a variety of topics from life-saving improvements in healthcare, to bold new realities of space travel. Take a leap of certainty and check out a session today here.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Signing up as ANSYS Support Coordinator
- simulation completed with execution error on server
- How to export Ansys Maxwell simulation results for post-processing in matlab or in .csv file
- Maxwell, HFSS or Q3D?
- Running ANSYS HFSS on the HPC (it runs on Linux only)
- Number of parallel paths in Ansys Maxwell
- Illegal External Terminal – assigning current to a coil
- Domain Decomposition in HFSS
- Failed to recover curve outlines
© 2022 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.