Electronics

Electronics

Maxwell2D BLDC Motor Electrical Power In and reading Ammeter values

• meghanty
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am currently at a loss for how to properly calculate the electrical power used by my BLDC motor in Maxwell2D.

Having completed a steady-state transient run, I am able to plot the output power as a product of torque and rpm. But now I cannot figure out how to plot the input power or efficiency. I've tried adding an ammeter to the circuitry right after the battery to monitor the current draw but am unable to find the readings of this ammeter in the plotting sections. Is using the Irms (current root mean square) the way to go? Unfortunately I cannot use RMxprt as I am working with a complex geometry that cannot be simulated there.

Any help with any method by which I can find the efficiency or electrical power used by the motor in my run would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you very much in advance,
      Meghan

• Paul Larsen
      Ansys Employee

If you have an Ammeter in the External Circuit, then you should be able to find the quantity in the Transient result plots under the "BranchCurrent" category.  If this is placed right after the battery, then the total electrical power would just be BatteryVoltage*Ammeter, and you can calculate the average power directly.  This will account for all losses included in the electric/magnetic conversion process defined in the simulation.  If there are additional losses outside the scope of the model, then you would either add these at the input, or subtract from the output (often frictional losses and corelosses are considered as post-processing, but could be defined so that they affect the power conversion process).

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.