Fluids

Fluids

McLaury’s Erosion Model parameter, A and hardness

• yyz5373
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am trying to understand what is the base hardness value for the McLaury's Erosion model.

I understand the default is for sand-steel, with the A = 1.997e-7 for Fluent.

A = 1559*BH^-0.59 (when V is in ft/s)

but I am also seeing some define A as 1.95*10^-5 *BH^-0.59 (for m/s) and as 2.5*10^-6*BH^-0.59 (for ft/s).

When I am using the A to solve for BH, the BH value does not make sense at all.

Can someone please help me on what am I missing or misinterpretting?

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Yiming

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
    • yyz5373
      Subscriber
      Hello Rob Thanks for your reply I figure it was in SI units for Fluent as the input for velocities are in m/s.
      However this still doesn't answer my question, as I am trying to figure out what is the default hardness for the McLaury's Erosion model, for the sand-steel.
      The A is given as 1.997e-07 as default, how does this translate into a hardness value in terms of BH for steel.
      I do believe the BH for the base model from McLaury's early publications is 210 or 290.

Thanks Yiming
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      A is a function of Bh - as covered in the manual https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/Secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v221/en/flu_th/flu_th_sec_discrete_erosion_mclaury.html which would suggest that F is a very small number.
    • yyz5373
      Subscriber
      Hello Rob So what is the value for F for the base sand-steel case.
      As A=F*BH^k, where A = 1.997e-07, k is -0.59 for carbon steel.
      what would the empirical constant for F be for the default case?
      I try to find it through the manual too, but was not able to find that value for F, since the base default case's BH is not provided in the manual either.
      Thanks Yiming
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      I suspect it's in the reference in the paper, but should be in the documentation. I'll raise it this side, but won't be able to comment until DOC is revised.
    • yyz5373
      Subscriber
      Thanks Rob!
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.