General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Measure element size

• jonsys
      Subscriber

Hello Community,

How can I measure the size of an element generated by automeshing?

Or min & max size of all elements?

Regards,

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Sandeep provides a good answer here.

• jonsys
      Subscriber

Hello Peter,

I don't get the option "Use Geometry settings" under "Display style" (if that's important).

And Characteristic Length under Mesh Metric is available in 19 and above versions I guess.

However, I don't exactly know what "Characteristic length" exactly represents, but as far as I know it does NOT represent the real size/length of the element. I also opened my model with 19.0 and the Min value of Mesh Metric is 0 mm; but the model is very simple and can be seen that there are no "0 mm elements".

Regrads,

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello Jon,

Characteristic length is well defined and very important for Explicit Dynamics analysis.

Please reply with the ANSYS version you want help with.

Regards,
      Peter

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Jon,

I just went back and checked the manual and Characteristic Length is available in 18.0. Now, if you have the individual elements, you can use the hit points feature in mechanical to get an estimate.

Here is a useful article on mesh metrics by one of our channel partners. If I may ask, what is the end goal for you in measuring the element length? Typically we are concerned about the amount of distortion and a metric like skewness is of a bigger concern?

Regards,
      Sandeep

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Jon,

Another way to identify elements based on size is to use named selections. You can try something like this:

Note that you do this both for the smallest and the largest volume/area. If you want to identify a group of elements based off on this, you create another named selection and specify a range.

Regards,
      Sandeep

• jonsys
      Subscriber

Hello Sandeep and Peter,

thank you for your answers; very helpful.

Initially I was just looking for a way how to measure the distance of e.g. edge of a mesh element (or distance between two nodes) and for that purpose the Hit Point Feature that you suggested gives a fast overview.

Now, I see that it is better to use features like Mesh Metric and Name selections to check the mesh quality. I will post some separate questions regarding this.

thank you

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.