Fluids

Fluids

Measuring the maximum shear strain rate in free surface simulation ANSYS CFX

• ISAR CHARMCHI
      Subscriber

I am simulating a vial that spin along its longitude axis and two phases (air, water) and would like to measure the maximum shear strain rate in the liquid phase however the reported amount seems not right due to the diffusion of volume fraction. I used below expression to measure the max shear strain rate:

maxVal(Fluid 2.Shear Strain Rate)@Default Domain

However the maximum shear strain rate reported are in the region that volume fraction is 10^-15 which I assume is not zero due to the diffusion of volume fraction as I am using coupling method. Is there any way to get the right number in monitor during the simulation or I can just get it in post processing by using iso clip.

• C N
      Ansys Employee

Hello,

I recommend you to use the clip to range option or use iso clip and set the values for which you want to see the contour of shear strain rate. 

Thanks

Chaitanya Natraj

• ISAR CHARMCHI
      Subscriber

Yes, I did the same. However, I cannot monitor this value during the simulation. I just can see it in post processing and the timestep that I save the trn file. Is there any way to monitor it during the run and ha e this value for all my timesteps? 

• C N
      Ansys Employee

Hello,

This can be done using ensight which is a postprocessing tool where you can monitor and plot the data creating queries for each time step . I will send you some video limks on how to work on ensight and this will help you out.

(3) Ansys EnSight: Creating Queries and Plots with EnSight Part 1 - YouTube

(3) Ansys EnSight: Reading and Loading Datasets - YouTube

(3) ANSYS EnSight: Linking and Comparing Multiple Fluent Cases - YouTube

(3) ANSYS EnSight: Overview of Postprocessing a Fluent Case in EnSight - YouTube

Thanks

Chaitanya Natraj

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.