Electronics

Electronics

Topics relate to HFSS, Maxwell, SIwave, Icepak, Electronics Enterprise and more

Measuring Voltage at antennas port on finite array using FADDM

• benjamin censier
      Subscriber

Hello,

I'm using HFSS (in Ansys electromagnetics suite 2022 R1) to simulate a receiving array of 19 dipole antennas.

I'm defining a unit cell (with lumped ports for antenna terminal), then based on this cell an hexagonal array is created and simulated using Finite Array Domain Decomposition Method.

Everything runs fine as far as I can tell, but in order to compute the coupling coefficients between antennas, specifically in receive mode, I would need to get direct access to complex voltage at each antenna port due to an incoming plane wave, and I can't seem to find the right method.

I can compute this voltage on the original unit cell antenna, using Field calculator to integrate the electric field along a line joining the two parts of the dipole. It seems to work fine but the problem is this line is not replicated in other virtual cells composing the rest of the array. Therefore I have access to voltage for only one antenna, I don't have any voltage data for the other 18 ones.

From what I saw in the doc and on several forums, it seems it should be possible to get those voltages just by changing the postprocessed cell in the array management window, but as said the line I use for this calculation does not appear in virtual cells.

Does anybody have any insight on that matter ? Is that a fundamental limitation of HFSS, like 1D object are not included in the array creation ? It seems to work fine with 2D objects for instance. I also tried switching between model/non model object but this does not make any difference concerning the 1D line.

Thanks in advance !

• Aymen
      Ansys Employee

No this is not possible

• benjamin censier
      Subscriber

Thanks for the answer Aymen. I guess there is some way I can get the electric field anywhere in the array though, would you know a method to do that ?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.