General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Mechanical failed to open the database… SYS.mechdb

• joshuakaplinger
      Subscriber
      Error message:nMechanical failed to open the database: Unable to open file E:\ANSYS Hard Drive\WB_LAPTOP-6VSH4HU7_joshu_21672_2\unsaved_project_files\dp0\global\MECH\SYS.mechdb. Either the application crashed or Workbench lost communication with it.nThis error has shown up upon attempting to open the Mechanical module no matter how many times that I uninstall and reinstall Workbench 2020 (although there may still be some residual files as I'm not great with computers) or which drive that I install the program files to. Each time that I reinstall WB2020, the Mechanical module works the very first time that I attempt to open it. Once I close out of it, the Mechanical module will stop responding and the error will occur. If I save the project, unsaved_project_files is simply replaced with the name of the saved WB project file, but everything else about the error message is the same. I've tried an old fix from years ago in which I copy the SYS.mechdb file and paste it somewhere else, changing the name to SYS.mechdat. This did not work, at least the way that I tried to do it. This problem has been plaguing me all semester and any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would much rather prefer to get this software up and running on my own laptop as opposed to having to work through a remote desktop.n
    • Aniket
      Ansys Employee
      good thing that you have already tried for the mechdb to mechdat workaround, I think I would post under systems as this seems an installation related issue.nIf I am understanding this correctly, You can save a project on remote desktop, but when you bring it in on your local machine, the same project gives you the mechdb missing error.nCan you please answer following:nCan you start and save a new project on your machine?nIf yes can you open the sample project created above on your machine after closing itnDid you try to save the project somewhere with shorter file path?nFirst question would answer if it is file specific or machine specific issue.n-AniketnHow to access Ansys help linksnGuidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning Forumn
    • Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee
      One thing you could try quickly is to clean the settings:n Exit Ansys completely.nStart > RunnOr, in the Explorer address fieldnEnter: %APPDATA%n...An Explorer Window will opennOpen the Roaming folder...nOpen the Ansys folder...nRename the vNNN folder to vNNN.oldn (v202 - 2020R2, v201 = 2020R1, v195 = 2019R3, etc)nStart WB and try againn
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.