Fluids

Fluids

Melting process of PCM inside a cylinder

• rubz
      Subscriber

I have to simulate the discharge process of a phase change material inside a cylinder and with the effect of natural convection using 2D simulations. I have already set up my model and meshing as seen in the figure but I am struggling to define the process in Fluent. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.   

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

You will have two cell zones: one exterior one where the gas/fluid or whatever is flowing and the inner cylinder zone with PCM material which would change material state. Is this correct? You need then two fluids one of them will be a PCM for which you can enable solidifcaiton and melting model

• rubz
      Subscriber

That is correct yes, the outside fluid is air and the inside fluid is coconut oil. How do I enable the melting for a specific substance?

Also, how should I set up my boundary conditions ? 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

you just enable that model and provides melting heat and different solidus and liquid temperature. 

• rubz
      Subscriber

Thank you. 

How should I define my boundary conditions? Should I assign a wall temperature for the outer wall of the cylinder and the pcm or just leave it open?

And should I initialize anything ? 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

the contact between cylinder and outside should be kept coupled (wall/wall-shadow). You initilaize your unsteady run with liquid fraction = 0 / using a temperature lower than the liquidus temperature.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.