January 15, 2023 at 9:28 amMert41Subscriber
I am trying to make a vessel stress analysis. I can able to get solution with 2D axisymmetric model but when I add solution membrane stress and bending stress I am getting error.
In Analysis Setting > output controls > general miscellaneous > turned on also YES.
Is it possible to get membrane stress and bending stress only for shell element? Is it not possible to get for 2D or 3D analysis?
or Am I making some mistakes for analysis?
I do not have too much experience for vessel analysis.
All comments will be appreciated.
Thank you Best regards.
January 15, 2023 at 4:55 pmpeteroznewmanSubscriber
A 2D axisymmetric model uses Plane elements. A 3D model uses Shell elements.
A Plane element must be in the global X-Y plane. A Shell element can be anywhere in space and can be twisted, it doesn't need to be in a plane.
The nodes on Plane elements only have two Degrees of Freedom (DOF): X and Y. The nodes on Shell elements have six DOF: X, Y, Z, RotX, RotY and RotZ.
A Plane element in an axisymmetric analysis uses Normal Stress X for Radial Stress, Normal Stress Y for Axial Stress and Normal Stress Z for Hoop Stress. A Shell element can plot Membrane Stress and Bending Stress.
It is not possible to get membrane and bending stress on a Plane element in an axisymmetric analysis.
January 15, 2023 at 8:44 pmMert41Subscriber
I thank you Mr. Peter for the information.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Colors and Mesh Display
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- User manual
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.