Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Merging of Two License Files

• jbrown
      Subscriber

We have a current license and was just sent a second one that includes Ensight. However when I try and merge the to license files by copying and pasting the new Ensight license section into our old license file and install on our licensing server (v19.2) I get an error in the "Display FlexNet License Status" tab that says

Users of ensight:  (Error: 5 licenses, unsupported by licensed server)

The rest of our Ansys products work except for Ensight.

Anybody have any idea how to fix this error? 

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi jbrown,

Normally, this means that some of the tasks of your 'ensight' license feature have expired.

Can you check your old Ensight license file and see if those old ones have expired ? If so, please don't keep those in your installed license file, remove them and use only the new ones. Make sure you restart or at least reread the ANSYS License Manager, anytime you make the change.

Thanks,

Win

• jbrown
      Subscriber

Hi Win,

We didn't have a license before this was a new feature, and I stopped and restarted the server when I made the changes.

Thanks,

Jon

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Jon,

I will need some diagnostics files on this. I will reach out to you directly.

Thanks,

Win

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Brief summary so it might help others

Issue: The two license files are issued for the same machine but they use different host IDs  (One uses Disk Serial Number, the other uses Mac Address). 

When FlexNet starts and reads license file, it verifies the authenticity of the license file using the hostID on the SERVER line of the installed (merged) license file , so the licenses that use another hostID is not working (ensight in this case)

Resolution: There are two options

1. Reissue the license file to combine them, which will use the same host ID.

2. This is more like a workaround. You have to manually install the two license files without using the License Management Center (and you can't combine them, they have to be separate files). 

- Stop the ANSYS License Manager 

- Go to  C:Program FilesANSYS IncShared FilesLicensinglicense_files and move your ansyslmd.lic to the 'backup' folder (or you can simply delete it)

- Rename the original two license files to ansyslmd.lic and ansyslmd2.lic (or any things that end with .lic) , then move them to C:Program FilesANSYS IncShared FilesLicensinglicense_files

- Start the ANSYS License Manager

Thanks,

Win

• Alfred
      Subscriber

Hi Win,

I am facing the similar issue. We bought a new license file that is matching with the second MAC ID of the system whereas an old license file is already running on another MAC ID. I tried the workaround you have suggested above, but the license manager is not detecting the second file(ansyslmd2.lic)..Is there is any other workaround .

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

The workaround works only if the LM recognizes both of the hostID.

If you only use the second file (backup the main ansyslmd.lic somewhere else), does it work ? If not, the LM doesn't recognize the hostID in this file and it must be regenerated with the hostID that LM can 'see'. You can check this in ANSYS License Management Center -> Get System HostID.

• Alfred
      Subscriber

Here the case is LM can recognize both the MAC ID. But it is not detecting the second (ansyslmd2.lic) file. If I copy paste the line item and the increment lines in the existing file it is showing in the LM(View Flexnet Licenses) but it is not usable. 

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee
      Are both of these license files issued to you on the same day ?nIf not, there is a function from FlexNet licensing called 'supersede' , which basically will supersede the licenses with the same name but older issue date (so it leaves only the ones with more recent date)nIn any case, it's easiest to just contact your ANSYS Account Manager and ask them to issue one combined license files for you.n
    • AndyJP
      Subscriber
      Basing on my experience with HFSS&Maxwell 10...15 I can say thatnMerging license files is possible n1)when components and their versions do not collide. Technically they may collide, giving you more workplaces, but this may fail for some reason. I had some errors and was forced filtering out duplicate and similar items. n2)when version priority is defined on the lmservern3)when the latest lmserver is usednI had success merging multiple dongle-based licenses (5 dongles) with MAC (2MACs) based licenses. MACs can be defined in NICs properties.nnIt really gives you a lot of advantages and flexibility.nnDon't forget, that when you are inserting an old dongle into the newer Windows, it can start silent update, so pulling it out (like during debugging) will kill the firmware. I had dongles with restorable firmware, but made a research before found correct firmware package.n
    • AndyJP
      Subscriber
      P.S. Ansys didtributors do not care how they get your licenses and where do they place them. You could get a newer component version which simply can not be started with older core package version. Ask for full options update and replace all those items with newer.n
    • AndyJP
      Subscriber
      P.S. Never seen a flexlm license using a disk number. Disks fail too often. NICs do not fail in surge-protected environment.n
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.