Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Mesh check failed

• Naiara
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am importing a mesh to Fluent and when I try to check the mesh: General-> Mesh -> Check at TUI console, the following message appear saying WARNING: Mesh check failed.

I increase verbosity number to 2 to have more information about the fail and in red colour appear the following message: 0: Cell has nodes not connected to all faces: Cell 21334, zone 10023,  (ID: 21335) at location (............). I enclosure some screen shot of the problem.

What can I do to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance,

Naiara

• raul.raghav
      Subscriber

Can you attach your workbench archive file so we take a look at it? If you're not sure how to create and share a workbench archive file, please refer: Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format

• Naiara
      Subscriber

Hi Raul, I attach my workbench archive file. It was created in ANSYS 19.

Thank you!

Naiara

• raul.raghav
      Subscriber

Naiara, how and where did you get the mesh from? I notice that you have hanging nodes in your mesh (see attached figure). Generally, a 2:1 refinement should be fine with Fluent but I'm not sure what went wrong here.

• Naiara
      Subscriber

Hi, 

My professor give me to work on that geometry&mesh. The  mesh strategy is O-grid around orifices. As grid edges radiate outwards, cell lenght in circumferential direction becomes larger, so that staged refinement in circumferenial direction was applied. Therefore, due to that some hanging nodes appears like the ones marked in blue in attached picture?

Finally, I do not undestand what you propose to me, a 2:1 refinement?

• raul.raghav
      Subscriber

Naiara, what you did is correct and its a really good mesh. When you refine the blocks in ICEM CFD, you specify the refinement level. The value defines if the mesh will be refined (>1) or coarsened (<1). But nevermind what I said earlier about 2:1 refinement. It was fixed with the recent versions of Ansys.

Could you upload the geometry and mesh workbench file?

• Naiara
      Subscriber

Hi Rahul,

I do not have geometry and mesh workbench file, I only have the mesh file.

Naiara

• raul.raghav
      Subscriber

Naiara, I looked into your file again. Fluent can handle hanging nodes however it issues a warning which is just to inform the user that hanging nodes exist in the mesh. So if the hanging nodes were created intentionally by the user, you can just ignore the warning and set your case up without worrying. Since you mention that your professor provided you the mesh file and you can see how the refinement has been made in the mesh, you can carry on ignoring the warning.

• Naiara
      Subscriber

Hi,

Yes, that was also what i was thinking to do, ignore it and go on.

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.